2/11/2013

Day Six: Pet Peeves

Pet Peeves

Here are a few of my pet peeves.  I'm honestly pretty laid back about most stuff (read the last sentence of number 2), but there are a few things that get me going.  After writing this I realized most of this is applicable to the workplace as well.  


1) Basic spelling and grammar errors.  The difference between "their", "they're" and "there" is extremely important.  Apostrophes have an important place and should be used properly.  And the word tomorrow doesn't have an "a" in it. If there is one thing I'm determined to ensure it's that my son will know the difference between an adjective and an adverb and that he won't leave his participles dangling [insert prepubescent giggling here].  **Disclaimer: This does NOT mean I claim to have perfect grammar or that I never make an error.  My own errors peeve me as well.  :)

2) Whining.  I took a personality test, called the SELF test, a little while ago at a management seminar.  I learned that I am an Efficient type.  This basically means I like to get stuff done.  Now.  Excuses really bug me, but whining is the worst.  Don't get me wrong, sometimes venting is necessary to regroup and refocus.  But, whining just means that nothing is being done to resolve the issue at hand.  I'm a firm believer that if you can do something about it - do it.  If you won't do anything about it - get happy about it.  If you can't do anything about it - let it go. 

3)  Bad attitudes.  I have a quote up in my kitchen that says "Happiness comes to those who seek it."  I think this is extremely true.  If you walk through your day looking for reasons to be unhappy or to make yourself a victim, you'll find them.  If you walk through your day looking for reasons to be grateful and joyful, you'll find them.  If you do the project with a bad attitude, your quality of work will suffer and the whole project will be an ordeal.  If you do the project with a good attitude, you'll have better results and feel more self-satisfaction for a job completed.

1 comment:

  1. My biggest pet peeve is whiners with bad attitudes and poor grammar. :0)

    The end.

    ReplyDelete