2/19/2013

Day Eleven: A Quote You Love

A Quote I Love

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.
-Dudley Field Malone



I think I have a problem.  I do not particularly care for confrontation, per se; I'm much more of a dispute-resolution type (can't we all just get along!).  However, I have this problem, you see, where I feel obligated to defend the underdog in pretty much any situation. 

If you tell me you hate something, even if I hate it, too, I feel inclined to defend it explain why some others may not hate it.  If you think Tierra on The Bachelor is looney-tunes, I might feel obligated to defend her as a poor, lost soul who has been hurt a lot in her past (not that I think she should win or anything, but I think she got a bad wrap). 

As a result, however, I've come to really appreciate this quote by Dudley Field Malone.  I don't think arguing is productive and I think our society generally spends way too much time fighting instead of listening to one another, but the combination of differing opinions and listening with an open mind can result in the most exciting realizations, innovation, and teamwork. 


1 comment:

  1. Hey! I just wanted to tell you I love this 30 day challenge you are doing on your blog! It is so fun to read! I'm tempted to do it as well! :) And way to get back on the blogging train. You're an inspiration to me. I'm trying my best to play catchup as we speak.
    Keep it up! wish we could see more of you guys. My heart goes out to you these last couple weeks but I hope things are getting better now. I like your last post that you said, "I know I can handle anything if it comes." Not many people can say that honestly. I think it is a divine gift to be able to press forward with hope and faith when hard things/scary things come. We're praying for you guys! (and hoping with all our might that we'll get to live near you again sometime...soon!) ;) :D

    ReplyDelete