2/08/2013

Day Five: What Song Inspires You

What Song Inspires You

As you may have gathered from my day three post, music has been a pretty powerful force in my life.  There have been many influential songs.  Some inspire me to let loose and have fun.   Some remind me certain times in my childhood or youth and remind me to stay young at heart.  Some remind me of the glory of God and the joy I have in Him.  Some make me cry, some make me laugh, some make me sing. 

However, for this post, I think I am just going to go with the first song that I thought of when I read the prompt for today. 

My job has brought me to many places around the country.  One of my job functions has been to travel to non-profit radio stations during their on-air pledge drives and provide software support.  Most of the stations who request this particular service are Christan Pop radio stations.  There is one song that I have been introduced to at these drives called "The Voice of Truth" that has come to mean a lot to me. 

The following lines from the song are the specific ones that echo in my mind quite often:

"Oh, what I would do to have the kind of strength it takes to stand before a giant with just a sling and a stone. Surrounded by the sound of a thousand warriors shaking in their armor, wishing they'd have had the strength to stand.

But the giant's calling out my name and he laughs at me, reminding me of all the times I've tried before and failed. The giant keeps on telling me, time and time again, 'Boy, you'll never win! You'll never win!'

But the voice of truth tells me a different story. The voice of truth says "Do not be afraid!"...Out of all the voices calling out to me, I will choose to listen and believe the voice of truth."

I feel like the lyrics speak for themselves pretty well.  I mean, who hasn't had those days where their internal demons remind them of their shortcomings?  Or those days when we feel like we aren't good enough or smart enough?  This song reminds me that we can choose to feed the demons or we can choose to remember our divine nature and walk tall and proud and defy those demons. 

1 comment: