1/15/2010

Come Close

Closer...


I'm going to tell you a secret. I don't know how to make a friend. It's been a VERY long time since I had to actually DO anything to make a friend.

Since I started college it was easy - become friends with the roommate. Done.

Since I graduated college it was easy - become friends with the coworkers. Done.

Since I got married it was easy - become friends with the hub's friends' wives.
Since I moved to North Dakota - not so easy.

Okay, okay, I know I've only been here for a wee short time and haven't really even had a chance to meet anyone, let alone build a friendship...but I'm afriad I don't even know how. Where do you find friends? Is anyone else out there looking for friends or does everyone already have friends? What if I'm not as awesome as I think I am?
It's a big, scary world out there. Who knew.

P.S. Weather - currently 28 degrees and sunny (feels like 17)

5 comments:

  1. 1. You are as awesome as you think, so don't worry there.

    2. I have no idea.

    3. Make food for people. They like that.

    4. Smile a lot. Laugh easily.

    5. Is it obvious I have no idea?

    6. Pick up your yellow snow.

    Be yourself. You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know how you feel. I'm not one to just go up to a stranger and make a friend. But here's a few ideas. What about your ward? Anyone around your age there? Make sure you make yourself go to church events, including relief society. Talk to people. Don't be afraid. I know its easier said than done. Anyone in your apartment complex? Work? Gym? Join a group of some sort, like yoga class or book club or something. Just some suggestions:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes it's hard to make friends, but you are a very likable person. You'll do great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are great and you can do it! I totally understand how you feel...I have felt that way since we came to PG...but have had family to fall back on so haven't done much about it...and yet, when family isn't around, I find myself lonely and wanting some friends who live nearby. So, don't worry--we all go through it. I think I would have to agree with Latissa though...start in your ward and make yourself go to more than just church. make Geoff go to more than just church. Without family around, your ward is who you are SUPPOSED to fall back on...and don't worry about not being awesome! You are so outgoing and easy to like! With help from the Lord, and a little effort, you'll have plenty of friends in no time! :) (The only thing that might be hard to overcome is if the population is just too small up there is Fargo! lol) jk

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erm, I loathe making new friends too.

    Try your ward, if they aren't too relief-society.

    Perhaps your new work?

    Or an imaginary friend?

    PS Love your emo picture on el bloggo. Made me happy.

    ReplyDelete