5/25/2012

Ode to Frank Sinatra

I've often wondered what it was going to take for me to feel like an 'adult.' 

I've gotten married, graduated college, had a 'real' job, birthed a child, achieved silver status with the Delta SkyMiles program - but none of it made me feel like a grown up. 

And then, yesterday, it happened

I was driving home from work listening to the local pop station as I usually do.  There are a few songs out right now I really like (I can't get enough of this one or this one).  But, for the most part, it's pretty crappy music.  So, the radio DJ informs me that he's going to play the new song by Usher, Scream.  Immediately, I'm excited.  My mind imagines a fun song reminiscent of Usher's reign over the year 2004-2005 where every song he released was AWESOME. 

Then I heard it.  Honestly, the sound is alright.  But, the lyrics.  I actually had to change the station.  I thought what is the world coming to? And then I realized - the song isn't any more offensive then "Yeah," I'm just generally offended by pop music (don't even get me started on "Wild Ones"). 

And so it happened, I'm an adult. 

So, now, I must express my sincere appreciation for my Michael Buble Pandora station and the music of Frank Sinatra and his contemporaries. 

Let's do a compare and contrast, shall we? 

Some lyrics from Usher's previously mentioned single (Note: Subtlety is not his strong suit.  Note to men out there: Subtlety is sexy): "I see you over there, so hypnotic. Thinking 'bout what I do to that body.  I get you like ooh baby baby.  Got no drink in my hand, but I'm wasted getting drunk of the thought of you naked. I get you like ooh baby baby...Got one life, just live it, just live it.  Now relax and get on your back."

Some lyrics from the Sinatra song "Make Someone Happy" that came on while I was cleaning last night: "Fame, if you win it, comes and goes in a minute. Where's the real stuff in life to cling to? Love is the answer, someone to love is the answer. Once you've found her, build your world around her. Make someone happy. Make just one someone happy and you will be happy too."

So, thank you, Mr. Sinatra, for reminding men (and women) everywhere that there's nothing wrong with a little tenderness.  That there is more to love then lust (however marketable).  And that, eventually, we all become adults and realize that love, not lust, is what we really wanted anyway.

1 comment:

  1. I had this exact same thought a few months ago -- I know I'm old when the top 40 station annoys me. :-( But alas, we still have Frank. Love your blog - your little boy is adorable!

    ReplyDelete