8/22/2011

12 weeks away!

Let the third trimester begin! 

So, today I am officially 28 weeks along and entering my third trimester (pictures below for your enjoyment and my embarrassment).  Things are still going along pretty smoothly.  I had read that his movements would change around this time as he gets bigger and can't roll around quite as much.  He still moves a ton, but the movements are certainly different, and a little less comfortable, then a few weeks ago.  This week he measures approximately 2.25 pounds and 14.8 inches long.  I can't believe he's so big!  (I also can't believe he's got to - at least - triple that weight before he's born!!)

For our anniversary, one of the gifts Geoff got me was a sewing machine (something I've been wanting for a long time now).  So, this weekend I decided to try my hand at one of the sewing projects I've been brewing the back of my mind for awhile now.  I have sewed before...but not much.  So, while winding the bobbin and loading the thread onto my new machine weren't a problem, measuring the fabric and knowing which stitch to use and all that jazz were a little hard.  But, here's how it went down:

Geoff and I bought a fantastic corner changing table unit.  It's pretty unique (the reviews are great - apparently angling the baby's bum toward you makes for efficient changing conditions) and I love it. 

The problem?  The changing pad is a very strange shape with a triangle cut out at the top in order to fit into the corner.  I've looked high and low, but there is not a cover to be found in that shape.  The manufacturer makes a pad cover, but they only sell it in white and that is far too boring (and easily stainable) for my taste.  So, since it seemed like the easiest of my sewing projects, I bought two different styles of fabric to make a couple covers (so we'll always have one while the other is being washed). 

So, I pre-shrunk the fabric, measured and cut the two halves, pinned the right sides together (kind of like I was making a pillow) and sewed around 3 of the four sides.  I then hemmed and darted the bottom and added some velcro so it would stay in place snugly on the pad. 

I think I did pretty well!  I need to make a couple of additional stitches toward the top by the triangle due to some measuring inaccuracies, but, overall, I'm very pleased with my first attempt.  I'm going to make the other one tonight, so I'll share that when it's done!

2 comments:

  1. So a few things:

    You go girl! That changing pad cover is awesome.

    Your hair is so long! Go pregnancy hormones! :)

    You look great. And boy, he really does look low. So good for the bladder, and the back!

    Congrats on moving into your third trimester. He is gonna be here so soon!

    ReplyDelete