4/13/2011

Mystifying.

So, I got an email the other day from "fitday.com." 

How I became subscribed to their emails, I'll never know.  And I'm sure I've asked to be unsubscribed many a time.  It's just hard, you know, because I'm AM subscribed to so much.  And I give out my email address with wild abandon on the interwebs, so I just accept that I am due for a "fitday.com" email from time to time. 

So, this email.  It is entitled "Demystifying the Paleo Diet." 

In brief:

"The Paleolithic, or Paleo, Diet is based on eating foods that our caveman ancestors ate. The idea behind this way of eating is that in the past 10,000 years, our genome has not changed much. However, our diet has and with the addition of processed foods, grains, sugars and dairy products, we have created such diseases as obesity, diabetes, high blood pressure, auto immune disorders, osteoporosis and heart disease.

The Paleo diet is similar to the way ancient hunter-gatherers ate and encourages the consumption of natural foods in order to achieve great health, vital energy, a lean physique and a long, active life."
 
Really, fad-diet-creating-society.  Really?  You think I'm not smart enough to know that the average age of an adult caveperson at death was probably between 20 and 40 years of age, an age at which the majority of contemporary people are in fine health, regardless of their diet.  And, really, you think I'm not smart enough to know that we cannot speak as to whether they had problems with high blood pressure or diabetes or other ailments because they didn't even have knives, let alone MRIs and Blood Glucose tests?  And their primary concern was probably making it home from a day of hunting with all their limbs intact and food eat?
 
I mean, really?  I'm all for eating natural foods and less processed crap.  But, in order to be like the cavemen? 

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I don't know. I mean, Cavemen have their virtues. I think you'd look awesome in a cheetah outfit and Geoff would rock the facial hair ....

    And having a midlife crisis at fifteen sounds interesting ...

    ReplyDelete