5/06/2011

Dear Louis Pasteur

So, us pregnant ladies owe a lot to good ol' Louis Pasteur.  Without him, I'm pretty sure I'd never be able to drink anything beside water.  And, for anyone who knows me, a life with only water as my liquid is bordering on torture.  I am generally against all liquids with calories in them, but since my pregnancy reading has scared me away from aspartame and the little one growing inside me seems to LOVE orange juice, I have let go of these aspersions for the time being. 

However, all juice is not created equal.  It is suggested to me, again in that stupid pregnancy reading, that I should only drink pasteurized milks and juices to prevent me from getting THE PLAGUE and whatnot (okay, it's actually listeria and salmonella). 

However, not all pasteurization is created equal.  I'm supposed to avoid flash pasteurization (which is done cold to "maintain flavors" but doesn't kill all bacteria).  Due to this distinction, I read a lot of juice labels.  During this time I have found that Pasteurized and Flash Pasteurized are not the only types of pasteurization you will find on a label.  "Gently Pasteurized" was my favorite up until this morning. 

I'm drinking a 12 ounce bottle of milk I picked up at the grocery store on my way to work.  I look down to find that it is "Ultra-Pasteurized."  I'm not sure what it means...but I do know this - I can drink it!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like a bunch of Superheroes.

    "I am Flash Pasteurization here to save the day!" As for me, I'm waiting around Super Pasteurization myself.

    ReplyDelete