6/28/2010

Diet - Duh.

So, I'm in Texas. Texas is known for a lot of things. Diet soda is not, apparently, one of these things.


Typically when I find myself staying in a hotel, the vending machines offer 2-3 different diet soda options. Not Texas.

So, since I [obviously] can't start a 14 hour day without my beloved Diet Dew, I stop at a gas station on my way to the radio station's offices.

I enter and walk to the cooler where I pull out an ice cold 20 ounce Diet Dew. I approach the very friendly man at the checkout who smiles at me broadly and says, "This everything for you, Ma'am?"
I smile back and say "heck, yes."

As I'm about to grab my bottle and walk away, he stops me. "Ma'am - did you know that's diet?"

Me: "You betcha" (uh, oh, he's southern drawl seems to make me talk even more like a North Dakotahn).

"Oh, kay. They look a lot alike, and people have to come back all the time and swap them out."

Seriously? People don't WANT the diet? Bah humbug.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, Texas. Been there, done that. My black slacks at the rodeo were not well-received.

    But your Trophy Wife response was excellent:

    Heck, yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does Texas know that if they drink diet soda, they can eat twice as much barbecue?

    Really, just wonderin'...

    ReplyDelete